We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
How to Make Keto Caramel Sauce Plus Recipes Using It
For all the caramel lovers out there who enjoy a touch of sweetness in their morning brew or a cold coffee drink on a hot summer day, a homemade caramel sauce is the perfect accompaniment.
I will show you how to make keto caramel sauce that will transform desserts too like my Gluten Free Carmelitas or my Keto Caramel Bacon Brownies!
If you’re following a keto diet, you might think that caramel is off-limits due to its high sugar content, but I will show you how extremely fast it is to make your own caramel sauce with this easy recipe!
Forget the expensive store-bought caramel syrup, even the sugar free ones, and make this easy recipeto have your own fresh caramel drizzle without guilt!
With the advent of allulose, a keto-friendly sweetener, you can enjoy a creamy caramel sauce without the guilt, and without the chunks of sugar crystals!
This heavenly sauce pairs exceptionally well with not only your morning coffee, but also adding a rich indulgence to a bowl of ice cream too!
Caramel sauce can take your hot coffee to new levels with the options of a caramel latte, caramel macchiato, or caramel frappuccino.
Keep reading as I will go over how to make this homemade caramel syrup with just a few steps, plus address any tips and frequently asked questions about substitutions.
Let’s make this sugar free caramel syrup with a few simple ingredients!
You will need:
- Butter (or vegan butter for dairy free)
- Heavy Cream (or coconut milk)
- Allulose Sweetener (or any other granulated sugar-free sweeteners)
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
Once the butter has melted and foamed up, it will start to turn brown.
Keep stirring until you have a golden brown amber-colored syrup.
Now you will quickly add in the heavy cream and allulose.
Stir gently until the allulose dissolves completely.
Whisk well once you do this and keep stirring for a minute.
Now let it simmer on lowest burner setting for 45-50 minutes.
You will need to check on it occasionally and stir until thickened.
I set a timer for every 15 minutes to go stire it and check on the thickness.
Once it has thickened enough to thickly coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and pour into a jar.
Let sit 30-40 minutes before using.
You can also put in fridge to thicken quicker.
I prefer overnight on the counter to gently cool.
By following these steps, you’ll have a rich and creamy caramel sauce ready to take your coffee drinks to the next level.
The sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
I would not recommend storing it at room temperature since it has cream in it and may spoil.
Now that you have your homemade caramel sauce, let’s explore some great ways to incorporate it into your favorite coffee drinks!
- Caramel Latte: Brew a fresh cup of your favorite coffee and mix in a spoonful of the keto caramel sauce. Add steamed milk or your preferred milk substitute, such as almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk. Top it off with a drizzle of caramel sauce and whipped cream for a truly indulgent treat!
- Caramel Macchiato: In a tall glass, pour espresso over a few ice cubes. Add a splash of your homemade caramel sauce, followed by cold milk of your choice. Stir gently and enjoy the layers of flavors.
- Caramel Frappuccino: Blend ice, coffee, a generous amount of the keto caramel sauce, and your milk of choice until smooth and creamy. Top it off with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. This cold coffee drink is perfect for those hot summer days!
Tips, FAQs and Substitutions
- Can I use other sweeteners instead of allulose? Yes, you sure can! I chose allulose because it delivers the sweetness but doesn’t crystallize like erythritol does when it gets cold. It also allows for the caramel to stay in a syrup form versus a thicker consistency. Allulose is a natural sugar substitute that is low in calories and has a minimal impact on blood sugar levels, making it an ideal choice for those following a keto or low-carb diet. If you use a different sweetenre, you can always reheat it in a medium saucepan over medium heat to return it to a pourable consistency. Hot caramel seems to blend better in your favorite coffee drink anyway!
- Can I add in flavor extracts to create different flavors in this Keto Caramel Sauce? Yes! The most common is to add in some vanilla extract after it has simmer to thicken. This way you get the best flavor of your added extract without it evaporating all way!
- What about using keto brown sugar for a richer flavor? Yes, that would be so delicious and it would work just fine! Just keep in mind you may have to warm it up later to make it more pourable as it may thicken up a lot more than with allulose. It will create a deep amber color that will be darker than what I made with the allulose.
- Does this take the place of a simple syrup like the well-known brand Torani Syrup from grocery stores? It can take the place of the popular syrups from Torani since it is already sweetened. You get the benefits of a true caramel coffee recipe and flavor without white sugar, cane sugar or any artificial ingredients when you make it yourself. Depending on wether you are making an iced coffee or putting it in your hot drinks, you may or may not want it to be sweeter.
Tips and Substitutions
- Add in a pinch of salt before cooling to add in the perfect balance of flavor! The little bit of sea salt really adds a little extra to just about anything to balance the sweetness!
- Make a double batch so you can use it in some of my recipes like my Keto Caramel Bacon Brownies!
- If you want to make this caramel dairy free it is super easy to do so. I have successfully made it dairy free with coconut milk and vegan butter (coconut oil + palm oil + butter flavor).
- Substituting the allulose for another sweetener will change the timing on when the caramel thickens. It may take less time or more, you just need to pay close attention and watch it so it does not burn, and then take it off of the heat when it thickens.
- If you use it in an iced latte, keep in mind that you want to mix it with the hot coffee for the best way for it to dissolve. After mixing, then add to the cup with ice. A blended frappuccino will blend up the caramel nicely without any problems.
- You can up your daily coffee when you make up some caramel coffee, freeze in an ice cube tray, then use them as your ice in an iced coffee! Any coffee lovers dream is to have an iced coffee that doesn’t get diluted as the ice melts! No need for the coffee shop when you learn all the tricks to make it at home with just a few simple steps!
- Turn your cold brew coffee into a caramel coffee syrup too! Add in the caramel before steeping your coffee. Give it a good stir before enjoying to get the caramel suspended.
How to Make Keto Caramel Sauce Plus Recipes Using It
- Small saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- 6 tbsp butter or vegan butter/Nutiva brand palm shortening
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- 1/3 cup allulose sweetener or erythritol/monkfruit
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Once the butter has melted and foamed up, it will start to turn brown. Keep stirring until golden brown.
- Now you will quickly add in the heavy cream and allulose.
- Stir gently until the allulose dissolves completely. Whisk well once you do this and keep stirring for a minute.
- Now let it simmer on lowest burner setting for 5-10 minutes.
- You will need to check on it occasionally and stir until thickened. I set a timer for every 3 minutes to go stir it and check on the thickness.
- Once it has thickened enough to thickly coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat and pour into a jar.
- Let sit 30-40 minutes before using.
- You can also put in fridge to thicken quicker. I prefer overnight on the counter to gently cool.
- The sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. I would not recommend storing it at room temperature since it has cream in it and may spoil.
Whether you’re using it as a topping for ice cream, adding it to your coffee drinks, or experimenting with other dessert recipes, this homemade caramel sauce will bring a touch of sweetness to your everyday life.
So, go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds will thank you!
Don’t forget to PIN the printable recipe card to your Pinterest board or print out the complete recipe card.
We are affiliates with various companies, including an Amazon Associate, and earn a small commission from these companies when you purchase through any affiliate links.
This is at no extra cost to you.
Thank you for supporting my site and also purchasing through these links to help me to create new keto recipes for you to try!
I love it when you leave a comment with your results.
We all have our own ideas and ways of making recipes so you may share some new things I have not thought of!
Come follow me on social media as I post new recipes and videos on Instagram and Pinterest all the time!
If you love cast iron as much as I do, then you would absolutely LOVE my 2nd cookbook “Chaffles Cast Iron and The Crock” !!