Growing up in the 80s, tater tots were the go to for quick crunchy-potato appeal next to a grilled cheese or hamburger. My Mom used tater tots in a famous casserole I am sure EVERYONE from the 80s remembers….Tater tot casserole where you use the canned cream of mushroom soup.
I would not be caught using canned soup today, but have re-created this nostalgic fave with low carb ingredients and a homemade cream soup that rivals the canned stuff!
Low Carb Tot Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 small onion; diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar; reserved
- 1/2 bag Green Giant Cauliflower/or Broccoli Tots
For The Sauce
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 oz cream cheese (4 tbsp)
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum/or glucomannan
- Preheat your oven to 350F. In a 10” cast iron skillet brown and crumble the beef with the onion powder, onion and salt. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, add cooked and crumbled beef to a greased 8x8 pan.
- To make the sauce, add all of the sauce ingredients to a medium saucepan EXCEPT FOR THE CREAM CHEESE AND XANTHAN.
- Stir well with a whisk over medium heat until uniform. Bring to a boil then add cream cheese. Whisk until melted. Sprinkle xanthan or glucomannan over the boiling sauce and whisk well.
- Lower to medium heat so it simmers. Simmer for 3 minutes until it coats the back of a spoon thickly.
- Stir the sauce into the cooked beef and spread evenly in the skillet or 8x8 pan. Top with Green Giant Cauliflower tots in one layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with 1 ½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes until its melted. Serve with a vegetable.
- Leftovers can be reheated in the oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes.