We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Growing up in the 80s, tater tots were the go to for quick crunchy-potato appeal next to a grilled cheese or hamburger.
My Mom used tater tots in a famous casserole I am sure EVERYONE from the 80s remembers….Tater tot casserole where you use the canned cream of mushroom soup.
I would not be caught using canned soup today, but have re-created this nostalgic fave with low carb ingredients and a homemade cream soup that rivals the canned stuff!
Here is the cream soup being added to the meat in the skillet before covering with tots and cheese.
You will be happy to use this homemade cream soup in other recipes too!
- The homemade cream soup recipe is perfect for any retro recipe calling for “Cream of ______ Soup” you only need to add in what you need! Mushrooms, celery, chicken, etc
- Leftovers, if you have any, are great re-heated in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes.
- Try a combination of different cheeses on top to give it a new flair!
Low Carb Tot Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 small onion; diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar; reserved
- 1/2 bag Green Giant Cauliflower/or Broccoli Tots
For The Sauce
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 oz cream cheese (4 tbsp)
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum/or glucomannan
- Preheat your oven to 350F. In a 10” cast iron skillet brown and crumble the beef with the onion powder, onion and salt. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, add cooked and crumbled beef to a greased 8×8 pan.
- To make the sauce, add all of the sauce ingredients to a medium saucepan EXCEPT FOR THE CREAM CHEESE AND XANTHAN.
- Stir well with a whisk over medium heat until uniform. Bring to a boil then add cream cheese. Whisk until melted. Sprinkle xanthan or glucomannan over the boiling sauce and whisk well.
- Lower to medium heat so it simmers. Simmer for 3 minutes until it coats the back of a spoon thickly.
- Stir the sauce into the cooked beef and spread evenly in the skillet or 8×8 pan. Top with Green Giant Cauliflower tots in one layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with 1 ½ cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes until its melted. Serve with a vegetable.
- Leftovers can be reheated in the oven at 350F for 8-10 minutes.