We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Gluten Free Jamaican Macaroni & Cheese Recipe (Keto)
Out of all of the comfort foods, Macaroni and cheese is one of the most popular, and I happen to agree!
So you can imagine my delight when I found a way to have a macaroni and cheese casserole dish gluten free AND low carb with my Gluten Free Jamaican Macaroni and Cheese Recipe.
Jamaican Macaroni and Cheese has its roots in British influence on the island’s culinary traditions.
Introduced during the colonial era, macaroni and cheese has evolved into a distinctly Jamaican dish, reflecting the country’s love for bold flavors.
It was not just any old macaroni and cheese, it was dressed up with all of the cheesy goodness with a crispy topping like a true homemade mac and cheese!
It is known as one of the most popular dishes you would find at sunday dinners at Grandma’s house!
In comes Super Fat Brand’s Keto Macaroni and Cheese that offers a delicious and nutritious base to put a healthy twist on this great recipe of a classic Jamaican dish.
It is macaroni and cheese made with lupini flour noodles, a low-carb alternative packed with protein and fiber.
It is only by popular demand that this amazing side dish is available from Super Fat.
They always sell out because it is one of the best available in the United States.
Lupini flour noodles are also gluten-free, making them perfect for what I need in my low carb gluten free lifestyle.
I had not idea how wonderfully filling a plate of mac and cheese could be as a main dish until I found Super Fat Macaroni and Cheese.
They make it convienient in a box with real ingredients, lupini pasta and tons of fiber but low in carbs!
Since I am not normally able to finish a box (which you may think you can but not with this one) then the leftovers inevitably go into the fridge.
This classic macaroni pie seemed the perfect way to transform this already delicious meal!
So let me show you how to transform this delicious keto macaroni and cheese into a show stopper!
Keep reading until the end to find some frequently asked questions and tips on how to customize it to what you have on hand, plus other ideas!
What you’ll need for this Gluten Free Caribbean Macaroni Pie
- 1 – box of SUPER FAT MAC AND CHEESE; prepared and cooled
- Large Eggs
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Dijon Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Pork Rinds; crushed
- 8×8 pan or 8 inch cast iron skillet
Let’s make this gluten free baked macaroni!
You need to make the SUPER FAT Macaroni and Cheese according to the instructions of boiling the elbow pasta.
Keep the cooking time at 8 minutes to ensure its the right texture.
This allows for the noodles to be al dente, which is not too soft since we want them to hold up in the casserole after baking.
I do not use salted water as it adds to much of a salty taste to the dish if you do that.
After boiling the noodles, let them sit in the colander draining while you mix up the cheese sauce.
It is important to not just dump the cheese onto the cooked pasta.
You want to whisk it separately from the noodles so it turns into a creamy sauce.
Add in the heavy cream and also use the butter as it recommends.
Melt butter completely with the heavy cream so there are no lumps.
Now once the cheese sauce is smooth, fold in the reserved lupini elbow macaroni noodles.
Now spread it out onto a flat baking sheet so it can cool quickly.
For best results, put it in a container and let it cool overnight in the fridge if you are not in a hurry and have planned ahead.
The next day is better because it allows the starches in the lupini to settle and creates a better texture.
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Prepare your baking dish by lining with parchment paper, wether an 8 inch cast iron skillet like I used, or an 8×8 pan.
Set this aside while you work on the cheese batter.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce and 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Now stir in your prepared and cooled macaroni and cheese.
Give the pasta mixture a good stir before putting into your baking dish.
Stir it well then spread them out into a single layer in the bottom of your prepared baking dish.
Top the macaroni cheese dish with your remaining cheese then follow with the crushed pork rinds on top.
If you want lots of cheese, feel free to add your own cheese amounts to the top!
Now bake it for 25 minutes until it is bubbly on the edges and slightly golden brown.
Time to serve it up!
I love mine alongside a fresh salad.
If you do have leftovers, they will keep up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container, or if in a glass container, wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
FAQs, Tips and Substitution Ideas
- Can I use the white cheddar Super Fat Mac and Cheese with the same results? Yes, you can! I would recommend changing up the kind of cheese that you use to match the white cheddar. Try some Monterey Jack, white sharp cheddar, mozzarella cheese or any variety of parmesan cheeses. You want to consider what will make the best creamy mac and cheese once it is baked!
- What about using a different gluten free macaroni and cheese, will it still turn out? Yes, it will. Make sure you purchase a box that gives you at least 3 cups of prepared macaroni mixture so the ratios of egg to noodles are right.
- What else can I use as a crunchy topping if I do not like pork rinds? You can certainly use 1 cup bread crumbs and toast them in a dry skillet with 1 tbsp butter. I love turning my leftover 5 Ingredient Keto Biscuits into breadcrumbs not only as a topping for this dish, but as bread crumbs for my Keto Gluten Free Meatball Parmesan Casserole. If you are using something plain, make sure you put a pinch of sea salt in it so you do not miss out on the flavor.
- I thought Jamaican food was spicy, Where is the spice? You are right. Different cultures interpret this comfort food differently every time! To add a little heat to the dish, try topping the Gluten Free Jamaican Macaroni & Cheese Recipe with bell peppers, red peppers, pimento peppers, scotch bonnet pepper before adding the top crumbs. You could also add a shake or two of hot sauce, or some cayenne pepper to the cheese mixture before stirring in the cooked macaroni.
- I am out of dijon mustard, what else could I use in its place? You can substitute regular yellow mustard + some black pepper and a pinch of garlic powder in its place. You could also add in 1 tsp of dry mustard to the cheese sauce for the same flavor.
- What other ideas do you have to change it up flavorwise? Consider topping your finished mac and cheese with fresh herbs such as oregano or basil. You could also add 1 tsp of paprika to the cheese mixture. This really shines through if you use the white cheddar mixture creating a flavorful white sauce for your macaroni and cheese.
Gluten Free Jamaican Macaroni & Cheese Recipe (Keto)
- 1 box SUPER FAT Keto Macaroni & Cheese *see notes for a 15% off order link
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard Grey Pupon is my fave
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds
- Prepare the SUPER FAT Keto Macaroni & Cheese according to the box directions. Let it cool on a plate then transfer to an airtight container to sit in the fridge overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Line an 8 inch cast iron skillet or 8×8 square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350F
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, heavy cream, dijon mustard, worcestershire, 1 cup of shredded cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for top). Set aside.
- Now spoon out and press down your cooled SUPER FAT Keto Macaroni and Cheese into the pan you prepared with parchment paper.
- Pour the egg mixture over your mac and cheese in the baking dish then top with remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake in your 350F oven for 25 minutes.
- Let it cool 5 minutes before serving up.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container up to 5 days.
- To reheat, place in 350F oven for 15 minutes until heated.
- Microwave reheating is not reccommended. It will make it have a rubbery texture.
Don’t forget to PIN the printable recipe card to your Pinterest board or print out the complete recipe card.
We are affiliates with various companies , including an Amazon Associate, and earn a small commission from these companies when you purchase through any affiliate link.
This is at no extra cost to you.
Thank you for supporting my site and also purchasing through these links to help me to create new keto recipes for you to try!
I love it when you leave a comment with your results.
We all have our own ideas and ways of making recipes so you may share some new things I have not thought of!
Come follow me on social media as I post new recipes and videos on Instagram and Pinterest all the time!
If you love cast iron as much as I do, then you would absolutely LOVE my 2nd cookbook “Chaffles Cast Iron and The Crock” !!
Try these other recipes that would go great with this macaroni and cheese!
- Easy Keto Pork Shoulder Roast
- Air Fryer Keto Chicken Nuggets
- The Best Cast Iron Skillet Chicken Breast Recipe