We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe (Gluten Free and Keto)
When you set out to make a chocolate cake you will find hundreds of recipes that use flour, but how many do not use any flour AND are still delicious?
Well you hit the jackpot with this recipe I have created as it is not only gluten free, sugar free and low carb, but you can easily make it dairy free as well!
With this gluten free flourless chocolate cake recipe, you will be pleasantly surprised how extremely easy it is to make and will indeed impress your guests as well as anyone you give a slice to!
It really is the best flourless chocolate cake recipe that I have ever created and is so deliciously decadent!
You only need a handful of ingredients you probably already have on hand.
This easy recipe comes together quickly with a large bowl and a wooden spoon.
You don’t even need to break out your electric mixer for this one!
I have taken the idea of a traditional flourless gluten free cake recipe and have made it sugar free to fit into a low carb lifestyle.
Your family and friends will love every bite of this rich chocolate cake even though it has no wheat flour or sugar!
No need for any special spring-form pan either as my recipe cooks up in an 8-inch cast iron skillet!
If you for some reason do not have a cast iron skillet, you could use a lined springform pan or 8-inch round cake pan.
You do not need a water bath for this flourless cake recipe like the common original recipe calls for, just quick and simple with one bowl and one baking dish!
Check out the list of basic ingredients below that you can find at any grocery store.
Simple ingredients you will need to make this cake:
- butter or coconut oil
- creamy nut butter(almond butter or cashew preferred)
- granulated monkfruit/erithrytol
- powdered stevia
- large egg; room temperature
- cocoa powder
- heavy cream or coconut cream
- sugar free chocolate chips or powdered erythritol(a sugar free powdered sugar)
Let’s start making our flourless gluten free chocolate cake!
Preheat your oven to 350F.
Put your butter, vegan butter, or coconut oil in the cast iron skillet and put it in the oven as it preheats.
This is an easy way to get your melted butter without having to use a separate pot.
Now in a large mixing bowl whisk together creamy almond butter with the monkfruit sweetener, stevia, and egg.
The nut butter should be creamy so it melds well with the other ingredients.
It is also the main ingredient in this recipe so make sure you choose a quality one you enjoy eating alone.
You could also try different nut butters like cashew butter, which has a great neutral flavor, or even peanut butter if you want the flavor to shine through.
The ideal choice though is to go with almond butter.
Whisk very well until smooth.
Now add in the cocoa powder.
If you want to use a hand mixer with a whisk attachment you can, but it is not necessary.
Just make sure you mix at a low speed so the cocoa powder doesn’t fly everywhere.
Whisk slowly so it does not poof up out of the bowl as the particles are so fine and we need all of those particles for the cake!
A great way to do this is to make a well in the center of the batter and slowly fold the wet over the dry.
Then after the dry ingredients are wettened, whisk vigorously to incorporate.
The last ingredient is heavy cream.
Do this in the same way by adding to a well in the center then slowly folding, then whisking all well.
Since this is the second ingredient that is essentially dairy, you can also substitute full fat canned coconut milk and still result in an amazing decadent chocolate cake!
Now you will remove the skillet from the oven and stir in the melted butter or coconut oil very well.
Line bottom of your skillet with parchment paper.
It will be hot so use a towel to push it into the skillet.
Now pour batter into your prepared skillet and bake at 350F for 20 minutes until a toothpick tests clean at the center of the cake.
Once it tests done, remove from oven and cool cake in the skillet on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
This extra time the cake bakes in the hot skillet will help it to form the crackly crust that makes it divine!
If you are going to use a dusting of powdered erythritol then after the 10 minutes of cooling, remove cake by lifting up the parchment paper by its sides and place cake back on the cooling rack to cool completely.
Before serving, dust it with some powdered erythritol.
If you would like to create a melted chocolate topping that turns into a chocolate glaze, then sprinkle the sugar free chocolate chips on the top and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
When you pull it out of the oven, take an off set spatula and spread the now melted chocolate chips around to form a thin layer of chocolate mixture that serves as a chocolate frosting!
At this point, continue to let the cake cool out of the skillet until completely cool and the chocolate has firmed up a bit.
Now its time to serve up this rich flourless chocolate torte!
With a sharp knife, cut it into 6 pieces.
Pro tip, clean your knife with warm water in-between each cut so the moist crumbs do not stick to it.
This way you will get clean cuts without loosing any of the batter or shape of the pieces!
Leftover cake will keep up to 1 week in an airtight container in the fridge.
It is so very rich that seriously, a small piece will satisfy you completely!
I believe the best part of this cake is that its one of my quickest chocolate desserts I have made, but that as it bakes it forms a thin crust on the top and bottom that has a slightly crisp crunch to it in every bite!
Although it is a dense cake, it still has a fudgy consistency that is hard to forget!
I recommend wrapping it in plastic wrap then adding to an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
- You can jazz it up even more to make it fancy for a special occasion by topping with fresh berries and a scoop of ice cream!
- Add a rich note to your cake by adding in 1 tbsp of espresso powder to the batter. This will enhance the chocolate flavor and make it richer!
- Fresh raspberries mashed to make a fruit sauce is my favorite way to adorn this rich cake!
- Take melted white chocolate and mix with a bit of cream to make a chocolate ganache glaze to drizzle over the top. Any chocolate lover would agree that the contrast of the dark chocolate with the white chocolate is amazing!
- This is a perfect dessert to serve on Valentine’s Day also! Anything chocolate spells love in my book!
- Go simple and top with a dollop of fresh whipped cream before serving.
- Serve it at the end of any holiday meal for rave reviews!
- I would recommend using stevia and not substituting as it will alter the texture of the cake.
- The nut butter helps create the fudgy texture, but you can substitute almond flour instead if you wish. You would then need to add an additional 1/4 cup of cream to compensate for the lack of moisture.
Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe (Gluten Free and Keto)
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil melted
- 1 cup creamy almond butter or cashew butter or peanut butter
- 1/2 cup monkfruit/erythritol granulated
- 1/4 tsp stevia
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or coconut cream
- 1/3 cup sugar free chocolate chips or confectioners erythritol for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Melt butter or coconut oil in an 8" cast iron skillet.
- Alternately melt in a small pan and prepare an 8" round cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients except for the chocolate chips or erythritol.
- Add melted butter or coconut oil from skillet or pan.
- Stir well.
- Now press parchment into the warm skillet with a towel.
- Or get prepared 8" cake pan.
- Batter will be stiff, so using a spatula spread evenly in skillet or cake pan.
- Bake 20 minutes until a toothpick tests clean from the center.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and bake an additional 5 minutes to melt.
- Remove from oven and immediately spread the melted chips around the top to form a frosting.
- Alternately skip the chocolate chip step and sprinkle with confectioners erythritol.
- Cool by lifting up the parchment paper and letting it sit on a wire rack to cool.
- Now cut with a sharp knife into 6 pieces.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, or fresh fruit.
- Leftovers keep up to 1 week in the fridge.
- Wrap in plastic wrap to prevent it drying out and keep in an airtight container.
Check out my other cake recipes great for any special occasion!
- The Best Keto Tropical Cake
- Keto Apple Skillet Cake
- Low Carb Chocolate Snack Cake
- Low Carb Bahama Mama Cake
- Keto B-52 Bundt Cake
- Keto Toffee Coffeecake
- Keto Black Forest Cupcakes
- Low Carb Chocolate Cake
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe post to refer to later.
You can also print directly from the recipe card.
You may find affiliate links throughout this post and my site.
If you choose to purchase through one of these links it will provide my site with a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you for supporting my site so I can continue to create low carb recipes that also are perfect for your gluten-free diet.