We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Keto Black Forest Cupcakes
I remember every birthday I would request this cake!
Its the dark chocolate, the cherries, the fluffy cream frosting made with pudding…pure heaven!!
My favorite German dessert of all desserts you can choose!
My Mom would use a cake mix, cherry pie filling and sugary pudding mix for her black forest cake recipe, but since I am now gluten free and sugar free now for some time, that was not an option.
Although grocery stores have gluten free cake mixes, they are not sugar free.
That didn’t stop me though, because as I usually say to myself, “I can make that keto and gluten free!”
Boy did I ever!!
I am thrilled to present this very special recipe to you that was made possible with Simply Delish Black Cherry Jel and Simply Delish Vanilla Pudding!
Ingredients you will need to make this black forest cupcake recipe!
- Pumpkin puree
- Large eggs
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla protein powder
- Monkfruit sweetener
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Simply Delish Naturals Black Cherry Jel
- Frozen cherries
- Heavy cream; divided
- Simply Delish Vanilla Pudding Mix
Why you will fall in love with these delicious chocolate cupcakes!
- They are not only gluten free, but sugar free as well so you stay within your macros!
- The homemade cherry filling using frozen whole cherries in the cupcake center and keto black cherry jel give it just the right amount of cherry flavor that will hook all cherry lovers!
- The rich chocolate cupcake is moist from the pureed pumpkin that helps give it a soft crumb that melts in your mouth!
- The fresh whipped cream folded with the keto vanilla pudding mix on top of each cupcake adds a creaminess that helps to softly adorn the decadent black forest cupcakes’ dark chocolate!
- It is perfect for any occasion including Valentine’s Day where you can say I love you with these moist black forest cupcakes!
Let’s make the moist chocolate cupcakes first!
First you need to add the first two wet ingredients of eggs and pumpkin puree to the large bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.
A hand mixer and a large bowl will work just the same!
Once they are whisked together uniformly, add in the softened butter and whisk on medium speed until uniform.
The butter MUST be softened, or it will clump and you will have a had time getting a smooth batter.
Now add all of the other ingredients and mix very well until smooth.
Prepare your cupcake tin by lining with cupcake liners, then a quick spritz of cooking spray to ensure they do not stick to the moist crumb of the cupcakes.
Evenly distribute batter among cups.
Approximately 1/3 cup of batter per well.
I recommend using a small cookie scoop to do this to reduce a mess!
You can either use a large 6 cup tin like I did and get giant cupcakes, or go with a 12 cup tin just the same.
Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes until toothpick tested clean.
Once done, let them cool completely to room temperature on a cooling rack then add to an airtight container to rest in the fridge overnight.
The resting on a wire rack before putting in the fridge helps it to stay together and not fall apart.
The additional time of chilling in the fridge also helps it stay together!
This is my best tip when working with a moist cake, especially with pumpkin puree, as it will yield a fudgier texture!
Let’s make the sweet cherry filling!
At this point you have your cupcakes cooled and in the fridge.
You want to go ahead and make the cherry filling the same day as the cupcakes so it can set up overnight as well.
I recommend using frozen black cherries for your filling as they have a deeper flavor than sour cherries, and less sugar of all of the cherries.
They are also a perfect match with the Simply Delish Black Cherry Jel that makes it sugar free.
Put the black cherries and water in a saucepan and turn on medium heat.
You want to bring it to a boil and then mash the cherries with the back of a spoon.
The natural pectin will help it thicken initially.
Slowly sprinkle the Simply Delish Black Cherry Jel over the black cherries while whisking.
It will thicken up quite bit but needs to sit overnight to completely thicken as the filling we need!
Put it in a covered bowl overnight, then the cupcakes and filling will be ready at the same time.
The next day stir up cherry filling with a spoon breaking up any clumps.
Use a 1 tsp measuring spoon or fancy cupcake corer, scoop out the center of each cupcake from the TOP of the cupcake.
Make sure you save the cap as we will be replacing it once it is filled.
Now get out a ziploc bag or piping bag and fill up the center of the cupcake with the cherry puree filling.
Pipe the jam into the middle.
It will be very thick as the whole cherries are only mashed.
Replace cap and gently push down.
Now you are ready to make the homemade frosting!
In a large bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl with hand mixer, pour in the heavy whipping cream and whip on high speed until you get soft peaks.
Then stop the mixer and pour in 1 pkg Simply Delish Vanilla Pudding.
Mix it slowly until incorporated.
Then slowly mix in an additional 1 cup of heavy cream until smooth and incorporated.
At this point it will have stiff peaks and is ready to pipe
Now top cupcakes with the vanilla pudding frosting.
Using an offset spatula works too if you do not pipe it.
Make sure you store them in fridge until ready to serve.
Set on counter 10 minutes to bring to room temperature so the frosting will soften.
It will stiffen up in the fridge, but quickly become soft at room temperature.
Order some extra pudding and jel so you can make some of my other recipes using Simply Delish like:
These mixes are not only gluten free BUT are keto friendly and are a 1:1 replacement for ANY retro recipe you have using the old sugary versions of the same.
- Keto Lime Pound Cake
- Keto Mini Glazed Donut Muffins
- Keto Strawberry Pudding Ice Cream
- Keto Creamsicle Dream Dessert
- Keto Strawberry Scones and more!
- This cake can also make a whole black forest cake with 2 (8″) round layers. Just put the filling between the layers of chocolate cake and frost the top and sides with the fluffy vanilla frosting.
- Adorn the top of the cake with fresh chocolate shavings and fresh cherries if you wish!
- Make this during cherry season in the summer and use fresh cherries!
- Try this idea and make some black forest brownies when you put the cherry filling on top of the brownies, refrigerate, then top with the fluffy vanilla pudding frosting!
- Add a few teaspoons of espresso powder to the basic chocolate cake recipe to up the chocolate flavor to ultimate richness!
- You can also go with maraschino cherries to adorn the top of the cupcakes for extra color!
Keto Black Forest Cupcakes
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp collagen
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder I prefer Iconic Vanilla Protein Powder
- 3/4 cup monkfruit I prefer Zen Sweet Monkfruit
- 1/4 tsp stevia
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp Simply Delish Naturals Black Cherry Jel
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package Simply Delish Naturals Black Cherry Jel
Vanilla Pudding Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream; divided
- 1 pkg Simply Delish Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Preheat oven to 350F and line or grease a muffin pan.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip the eggs and pumpkin together.
- Add in the softened butter and mix well.
- Now add all of the other ingredients and mix very well until smooth.
- Evenly distribute batter among cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes until toothpick tested clean.
- After cooled, put cupcakes in the refrigerator overnight.
- Make the cherry filling.
- Put cherries and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and mash cherries with the back of a spoon.
- Slowly sprinkle the Simply Delish Black Cherry Jel over it while whisking.
- Put in a covered bowl overnight to thicken.
- The next day stir up cherry filling with a spoon breaking up any clumps.
- Now get out a ziploc bag and fill up with cherry filling.
- Use a 1 tsp measuring spoon to scoop out the middle of the cupcakes. Save the cap.
- Pipe the jam into the middle.
- Replace cap and gently push down.
- Now make frosting!
- Whip 1 cup of heavy cream until soft peaks.
- Mix in 1 pkg Simply Delish Vanilla Pudding.
- Slowly fold in with a spatula an additional 1 cup of heavy cream until smooth and incorporated.
- Pipe or spread over cupcakes.
- Store in fridge.
- Set on counter 10 minutes to bring to room temperature if frosted so it will soften.
Don’t forget to PIN the pinnable recipe card to your Pinterest board or print out the complete recipe card.
We are affiliates with various companies and earn a small commission from these companies when you purchase through my affiliate links.
This is at no cost to you.
Thank you for supporting my site and also for creating new keto recipes for you to try!
We are an affiliate with different brands, so you will find links to products where we will get a small commission when you purchase through these links.
This is at no cost to you and helps provide a small amount to support my site and more great low carb recipes like this one!
This post was updated with additional information on 01/15/2023