We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Is Instant Vanilla Pudding Gluten Free?
When you are looking for a good instant pudding mix for your next recipe, you must be diligent in making sure that there are no gluten-containing ingredients just like with all pre-made foods!
I have been following a gluten free diet for over 8 years now and it takes a keen eye and patience to read over ingredients before enjoying almost anything that is not a whole food.
I started getting frustrated with the way that the gluten ingredients are not always in plain sight or recognizable until I became accustomed to what to look for!
Here in this post I will go over the common ingredients to look out for, give you my recommendations plus gluten free recipe links to my tried and true desserts using instant pudding mixes.
What are the ingredients in Vanilla Jell-O Instant Pudding?
Product labels are the first place I would look to see a few indicators if it is gluten free or not.
This is the list from the package that I found on the kraft foods website:
- MODIFIED CORNSTARCH
- CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM PHOSPHATE
- TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE
- MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES
- ARTIFICIAL COLOR
- NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS
- YELLOW 5, YELLOW 6
Right off the first red flag is the “Natural and Artificial Flavors” in the list of ingredients.
You never know if these flavors are derived from gluten ingredients or not.
Technically it is not labeled as containing “gluten-free ingredients” so it does not have to disclose anything extra.
Although it is popular brand, I would stay away from this one as the natural flavors origins are unknown and the yellow 5 and yellow 6 are unhealthy dyes I would not want to eat!
Are there any Instant Vanilla Pudding Mixes that Contain Simple Ingredients and are Gluten Free?
I have good news for you, YES!!
Yes, there is a brand that makes instant vanilla pudding mixes.
All of them are gluten-free pudding mixes and I have tried all of their flavors and LOVE them!
It is the brand Simply Delish Naturals!
I will share with you all of the recipes I have used these pudding mixes in later in the post as well as offering 10% off of any order when you order through any of my links in this post or use my coupon code: LOWCARBWITHTHECARRS
Of course when I first discovered this brand of instant pudding mixes I looked at the ingredients first to see what they were.
The ingredient list is:
- Plant-Based Soluable Fiber
- Stevia Extract
- Natural Vanilla Flavor
- Natural Color (beta carotene)
So not only is it labeled gluten-free but it does not contain any wheat ingredients or any in the top 8 common allergens for that matter
Even if you have dietary restrictions, this perfect gluten free instant pudding mix will be on your list!
The gluten-free label is on the box as well as showing on the product packaging that it is also free of the 8 common allergens:
- Tree Nuts
I have a gluten intolerance and I am not effected by minute ppm gluten particles as someone with celiac disease may be.
Some others may be more sensitive than I am, so the facility the products are made in, as well as the ingredients of the other products made in that facility matter.
The only other products that Simply Delish makes is jels, similar to the jello desserts we all know of, so I cannot imagine where any risk of cross-contamination would occur.
I believe that this is in fact free of all of the allergens it claims to be free of, including being a gluten free item, and have had no issues or any reports of the gluten-free claims being wrong or challenged.
The jello products on the other hand are using ingredients that are questionable, like natural flavors, and it is not labeled as one of the gluten-free products they make, if they make any at all.
The Simply Delish brand has become quite popular lately and can now be found in your local grocery store shelves!
So can I make the Simply Delish Instant Vanilla Pudding dairy free?
Yes, you can!
It actually has steps on the back of the box that detail how to make it with a dairy free alternative milk or any milk substitutes.
My favorite dairy free milk to use with it is coconut milk.
It turns into a thick, creamy texture that is perfect as a pie filling!
You can of course add in a little water to thin it out to a more creamy and smooth pudding without compromising on taste!
I usually add in some unsweetened almond milk to thin it a bit to make it less thick.
I use the gluten free instant pudding mixes in all of my retro recipes to revive them without the artificial sweeteners and added sugar.
What pudding flavors are available in the Simply Delish line?
They have all of the traditional ones and one that is not available in the jell-o brand!
The strawberry one is the one that the jell-o pudding line does not offer.
I love using these pudding mixes in my recipes.
I usually put the dry mix into my recipe then modify it from there like in my Keto Gluten Free Strawberry Cake Recipe.
I also used it in my Keto Strawberry Scones where it came through as the strawberry flavor without adding any extra carbs!
Here are some recipes to get you started on your journey using these mixes in a gluten-free recipe!
- Keto Bananas Foster Chocolate Chip Blondies – Its a mash up of blondies + bananas foster + chocolate chips that will leave you in awe wanting another piece! All keto, low carb and gluten free!
- Keto Coconut Cream Pie – When you thought pie couldn’t get any better I come out with this amazing recipe that will fool even the MOST die hard sugar fiend! With the creaminess and ultimate true coconut flavor, it comes together quickly and will impress everyone who tries it!
- Keto Brownie Pudding Delight – Pair some instant chocolate pudding with my low carb fudgy brownies and you get the most luscious dessert ever! It is gently balanced with a touch of cream cheese and whipped cream and oh so lovely!
- Keto Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies – Not only are these cookies super chewy but also very soft! They are the BEST to use for mini ice cream sandwiches with keto ice cream too and are easy to eat right out of the freezer without breaking a tooth or crumbling into a mess! The secret is using Simply Delish Keto Vanilla Pudding!!
- Easy Keto Butterscotch Fudge (gluten free) – This is one of those easy recipes you cannot believe, but the texture is a chewy one like nougat. It is naturally gluten free and does not use keto butterscotch chips. Only a few specific ingredients are needed to get this melt in your mouth butterscotch fudge! Homemade fudge recipes I am used to will use marshmallows or frosting to make them quick, but not this one!
Here are some other ideas that do not require a recipe to make instant pudding fun!
- Get some small 4oz mason jars and prep up some snacks for when you have a craving! Having a pudding cup on your gluten-free diet really helps you not feel left out and also prevents you from reaching for a snack pack pudding!
- Turn a box of the Simply Delish Banana Pudding into a banana pudding treat! Just layer it in a bowl with some gluten-free vanilla wafers and slices of banana if you want.
- Turn a box of the Simply Delish Chocolate Pudding into a fancy dessert when you layer it with whipped cream in a glass dish and top with some shaved dark chocolate!
- You can always go wild with the vanilla instant pudding, or any flavors for that matter, and add in a teaspoon of vanilla extract to your pudding recipes!
Don’t forget to PIN this picture above to save for reference later!
We are affiliates with various companies and earn a small commission from these companies when you purchase through my affiliate links.
This is at no cost to you.
Thank you for supporting my site and also for creating new keto recipes for you to try!