We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Easy Keto Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Recipe (with garlic)
You will love this Easy Keto Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Recipe with garlic to impress your friends or for a night in!
The from scratch creamy alfredo sauce is the perfect match to the tender shrimp and will go great with some cauliflower rice or a mound of steamed broccoli!
I originally grew up in Missouri so my memories of shrimp are varied from Red Lobster to the heavily breaded popcorn shrimp found in the frozen section of the grocery store.
This shrimp will change your ideas about seafood dishes that are easy to make anytime, not just for special occasions.
A shrimp fettuccine alfredo starts out the same, but instead of using noodles, you can opt for something healthier that will fit into a low carb diet.
The shrimp is blanketed with a creamy, herb and parmesean sauce that is thickened with cream cheese!
Yes , thats right, no flours or thickeners needed to keep it gluten free and low carb!
I will walk you through how to make this restaurant worthy, low carb dish that will satisfy your Italian cravings for alfredo pasta.
What you will need to make this Easy Keto Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Recipe with garlic
- Raw shrimp or prawns; peeled and de-veined
- Garlic; minced
- Onion ; diced
- Cream Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Warm Water
Let’s make some Keto Creamy Shrimp Alfredo
Get all of your ingredients chopped and ready before you begin!
Preheat your large skillet over medium heat so your shrimp will sear immediately.
Now melt 2 Tbsp butter in a hot skillet and swirl around to coat it entirely.
Now add in your cloves of minced fresh garlic and saute 1 minute, no more or it will burn.
Immediately add your deveined and peeled shrimp to the skillet and stir up with the garlic.
Make sure each piece of shrimp is laying flat in the skillet so you can get both sides cooked.
Cook the shrimp for 2 minutes only and no more!
You will cook for 1 minute each side.
Set a timer if you must so you do NOT overcook them!
They will turn pick and become smaller once cooked.
If you over cook them they will become tough and not edible.
Remove the shrimp from the skillet and place in a small bowl to the side.
Now in the same skillet, saute 1 Tbsp butter while scraping the skillet bottom with a whisk to loosen up the flavorful bits.
Now add the chopped onion to the skillet and stir well.
Saute the onion for 3 minutes until translucent, then add in the dried herbs of parsley, oregano and basil.
Warming the herbs before adding the liquid gives it the chance to release the flavorful oils in the dried herbs.
Whisk for 30 seconds giving the herbs a chance to release their flavors.
Now add in the heavy cream and water to the skillet whisking up crunchy bits.
You can also use half and half instead if you wish.
Using the heavy cream and water instead will save you on carbs and tastes the same.
Immediately add in the cream cheese and whisk well into the sauce.
Simmer the sauce for approximately 8-10 minutes to thicken.
Once it has thickened up, whisk in the shredded parmesean.
Freshly grated is best so you will know it doesn’t have any added preservatives or fillers.
It also melts very well into the sauce instead of being gritty, which is what we want.
Now simmer 5 minutes until it coats the back of a spoon.
Dip a spoon into the sauce and when it coats it well you know it is ready.
As it cools a bit to eat it will naturally thicken as well.
Finish it off with adding in salt and pepper to taste.
I recommend trying it until the flavor is right for you.
Now remove the skillet from the heat and fold in the cooked shrimp.
Serve immediately over cauliflower rice or over your favorite steamed vegetable.
If you do have any leftovers, you can save them in an airtight container up to 2 days.
When you are ready to eat it, just warm it for a minute in a skillet.
Do not put it in the microwave at all or the shrimp will be ruined.
Keep reading for an idea on how to prep for the freezer to have a quick freezer meal on hand.
I had mine with cauliflower rice (shredded cauliflower sauteed 5min in a skillet) AND 1 cup of salad greens with a Zero carb vinegarette!
Easy Keto Creamy Shrimp Alfredo Recipe (with garlic)
- 1 lb. Shrimp deveined,peeled
- 3 Tbsp butter; divided
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cup half & half
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup parmesean shredded
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground basil
- Salt&pepper to taste
- Get all of your ingredients chopped and ready before you begin!
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a hot skillet.
- Swirl around to coat then add 6 cloves of minced fresh garlic, saute 1 minute, no more.
- Add 1 lb deveined & peeled shrimp.
- Cook shrimp for 2 minutes only!
- 1 minute each side, you do NOT want to overcook them!
- Saute 1 Tbsp butter in the skillet scraping the skillet bottom with a whisk then add 1/2 cup chopped onion to the skillet.
- Saute 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 tsp dried parsley,oregano & basil then whisk.
- Add in 1 3/4 cup half and half to the skillet whisking up crunchy bits.
- Chop 2oz of cream cheese.
- Whisk well into sauce and simmer to thicken.
- Simmer approximately 8 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup shredded parmesean.
- Whisk well and simmer 5 minutes.
- When it coats the back of a spoon, add salt and pepper to taste.
- I recommend trying it until it is right for you
Don’t forget to PIN the pinnable recipe card to your Pinterest board or print out the complete recipe card.
Here are some ideas and tips for substitutions
- Are you not a fan of shrimp? Try some chunks of salmon or scallops instead with this recipe.
- Try something new next time when you brown up some chunks of chicken breast and continue with the recipe as listed for a great Keto Chicken Alfredo recipe!
- Make this into a quick freezer meal when you make the sauce ahead of time and save in a small freezer bag. Then when it is time for dinner, just let the bag sit in a large pot of water that is warm but not too hot to thaw. Cook up your meat in the skillet then pour the sauce over it when the meat is cooked.
- Picky eaters? Make up the sauce without the meat and pour it over some vegetables to get your kids to eat them like these Longhorn Steakhouse Crispy Brussels Sprouts!
We are affiliates with various companies and earn a small commission from these companies when you purchase through my affiliate links.
This is at no extra cost to you.
Thank you for supporting my site and also purchasing through these links to help me to create new keto recipes for you to try!
I love it when you leave a comment with your results.
We all have our own ideas and ways of making recipes so you may share some new things I have not thought of!