We use affiliate links. If you purchase something using one of these links, we may receive compensation or commission.
Is Crustless Keto Chicken Pot Pie Healthy for you?
When you are looking for a healthy chicken pot pie recipe that includes chicken broth, tender veggies and chunks of cooked chicken, look no further!
This delicious recipe for Crustless Keto Chicken Pot Pie is one of my favorite recipes as the filling changes to match what I have on hand at the time!
It is great for using leftover chicken as well and is the best way to reduce your food waste.
Each night we have vegetables I save what little bit is left in a bag in the freezer to use in my once-a-month homemade chicken pot pie!
This simple recipe saves me when it is close to grocery shopping day and I have to be creative!
You do not need whole wheat flour or all purpose flour to make delicious comfort food recipes the entire family will love!
I have found a way to turn one of my classic chicken pot pie recipes into the best chicken pot pie recipe that is gluten free, grain free and keto!
Keep reading so you can get all the details on how I made my Crustless Keto Chicken Pot Pie and how healthy it is for you!
What you will need to make my Crustless Keto Chicken Pot Pie!
- Butter or Olive Oil or vegan butter for dairy free
- Fresh Vegetables (celery, carrots preferred)
- Onion ; chopped
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Heavy cream or almond milk (see tips below on how to sub in almond milk)
- Chicken broth or chicken stock
- Ground sage
- Dried parsley
- Marjoram or Fresh Thyme
- Or Poultry Seasoning in place of fresh herbs
- Cooked chicken;diced or shredded (either leftover or from a rotisserie chicken)
- Xantan gum or glucomannan
- Coconut flour
- Sour cream (or plain dairy-free yogurt)
- Baking powder
Let’s get started by making the creamy sauce filling in your skillet
Preheat your oven to 400F.
You will need a large cast iron skillet or a large dutch oven that can go in the oven.
Check the tips below for how to do this without an oven safe skillet and a baking dish.
Preheat your large skillet or large pot over medium-high heat for a few minutes to start making the chicken pot pie filling.
Swirl in 2 tbsp of butter or olive oil into the bottom and start by sauteing the chopped onion.
Push them around for about a minute until they become softened then add in the chopped veggies.
If you are using fresh vegetables then you will need to saute them until they can be mashed with a fork.
If you are using already cooked veggies, leftover veggies or canned vegetables then you can skip cooking too much.
Once the vegetables are ready, add in the salt, black pepper, herbs you are using plus garlic powder.
Now you will need a whisk for the next step.
Whisk in the heavy cream or almond milk plus the chicken broth.
Bring it to a medium simmer and then sprinkle the xanthan gum or glucomannan over the top while whisking.
You must whisk as you add it in so it does not clump up.
Now turn the heat down to low and cover for 5 minutes.
This allows the xanthan gum or glucomannan to blend with the ingredients for the most creamy filling!
Once the time is up then take it off of the heat and stir in the tender chicken pieces or shreds.
Set aside while you make the biscuit topping.
In a large bowl, whisk the cooled, melted butter with eggs, salt and sour cream.
Now whisk in the coconut flour and baking powder until well combined.
Fold in the shredded cheese and drop batter by tablespoons in a small cobble pattern.
Using a cookie scoop makes quick work of this step.
DO NOT SPREAD AROUND!
This is an important step to get some rise out of your biscuit topping.
Now bake in a 400F oven for 20 minutes.
Once the time is up it will need 5 minutes under the broiler to get a golden brown crust.
You could pull it from the oven and brush an egg wash over the biscuits if you want a deeper golden brown color.
Now after it is done you need to let it sit for 10 minutes before serving so the filling will thicken up and not be a runny mess.
Store leftovers in any of your preferred airtight containers up to 4 days.
Just reheat your Crustless Keto Chicken Pot Pie in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes.
Here are some other tips and ideas for substitutions
- Make this dairy free when you use almond milk instead of heavy cream. Since heavy cream is a lot thicker than almond milk, you will need to add twice as much xanthan gum or glucomannan. This will ensure your dairy free healthier version of chicken pot pie is not runny!
- When you substitute in fresh vegetables for the already cooked or blanched vegetables you need to saute them till fork tender. They will not cook much in the baking process so you need to make sure they are tender to eat before adding them in.
- If you do not have an oven safe skillet or dutch oven then cook up everything in the skillet to the point of getting the biscuit mix mixed up. Put the filling into an 8×8 casserole dish or a pie dish and scoop the batter over the top. Proceed with the recipe as written.
- You can easily use raw chicken breast if you cook it up before the vegetable step in the skillet. I chop my chicken breast into cubes then saute until cooked all the way through. Set aside and proceed with the recipe as written.
- Think outside of the usual vegetables used and consider boiled and chopped sweet potatoes for a great dose of vitamins.
- If you are concerned with the fat content of the milk you use, opt for fat free milk, but use the tip above for thickening.
- Whole milk is a good stand in for heavy cream as well if you run out of it.
- If you want to make this recipe into multiple servings, place the pot pie filling into a wide mouth half pint jar or ramekin topped with one scoop of atter on top. This is a great way to have portion control with a single serving of chicken pot pie.
- Do you want a flaky crust instead of the cobble biscuits? Look in your local grocery store in the freezer section or dairy section for gluten free crescent roll dough. It will not be low carb, but will be a way for you to have a healthy dish and still have the perfectly flaky crust top!
- When you substitute the dairy products for dairy free products the taste will be a little different. Vegan butter, vegan cheese and dairy free milk will work in this recipe. Omitting the cheese out of the biscuit dough will result in a flatter shape. The taste will still be great, just not as mounded. Add in some herbs to bump up the flavor since you would not have the cheese flavor present.
- Get two meals in one when you roast up a whole chicken one night for dinner, then the next day, boil the leftover bones to make homemade broth. The meat chunks will be your chicken for the pot pie recipe!
- Make this to fit what kind of meat you want! Use matching broths for best flavor. Chicken with chicken. Beef with beef. I used chicken when I used ham.
Is Crustless Keto Chicken Pot Pie Healthy for you?
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup blanched mixed veggies carrots,celery
- 1/2 small Onion ;chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 1/2 cup cooked chicken;diced
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum/or glucomannan
FOR THE BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 4 1/2 Tbsp butter; melted&cooled
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the pot pie filling
- Saute onion, veggies, garlic, salt and pepper in 2 Tbsp butter in 10-12″ cast iron skillet until tender.
- Add in cream, broth and herbs.
- Sprinkle with xanthan gum.
- Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Fold in chicken.
For the biscuit topping
- Combine cooled butter with eggs, salt and sour cream in a small bowl with a whisk.
- Add coconut flour & baking powder.
- Stir till combined.
- Stir in cheese.
- Drop batter by tablespoons in small cobble pattern.
- DO NOT SPREAD AROUND!!
- Bake at 400F for 20 min.
- Broil for 5 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: let sit 10 minutes before serving!
- Leftovers are so good!
- Reheat in 350 oven for 8 minutes.
- Serves 4.
- Approx. 4g carb/1g fiber
- per serving when using veggies listed and chicken.
Don’t forget to PIN the pinnable recipe card to your Pinterest board or print out the complete recipe card.
We are affiliates with various companies and earn a small commission from these companies when you purchase through my affiliate links.
This is at no extra cost to you.
Thank you for supporting my site and also purchasing through these links to help me to create new keto recipes for you to try!
I love it when you leave a comment with your results.
We all have our own ideas and ways of making recipes so you may share some new things I have not thought of!